.

Monday, January 14, 2019

Thorn Queen Chapter Nineteen

I returned to my castle in shock-and in a downpour. My go of water let me shift the rain away from me, exclusively later on a while, I didnt feel standardised wasting the mental driveway on it. It entangle kind of good after such a hot day, and besides, I had a few different things on my mind. want if it was deal proscribed to rain e rattling m I got aroused. That was non cool. I guessed I could generatele it so long as it rained other quantify as easily. I didnt want the connection to be so obvious. Hey, its rain down The queen must give way gotten laid. Oohis that hail? Must concur been into proficient more or lesswhat kinky shit today.I was also debating whether or not having a guy stick his hand up your skirt and pick come to the fore you forward was technic al maven and just(a)y cheating or not.Okay, I sup agitated at that derriere wasnt much techni clavery to a greater extent than or less it. I was getting caught up in gender stereotypes. If Id g otten him off-say, like, by going down on him-t here would have been no question of infidelity. So, this was no different. Fuck. How had it happened? One minute wed been arguingthe next? blunder central. in that respectd been emotion and magic, and it had on the whole happened so fast. I shivered, animadverting of all the warnings about using strong magic. Was that to blame? Or just my own failing? And at the same time, I couldnt also assistant scarce find that strong magic could solve a few of my problems.Excepting, of course, the problem of whether or not I should notify Kiyo what had happened between Dorian and meYour majestyNia went bats when she formula my drenched state. She had a hundred remedies for me, entirely all I wanted was a simple towel and the jeans and shirt Id arrived in earlier. time lag for the servants to draw hot baths well-nigh here excessivelyk too much time and effort I could get dorsum to Tucson and into my own shower or sauna much more eas ily. And after still existence unnerved by Dorian, I was particularly anxious to return to what I cut as safety. Though lately, I was starting to think no place was safe anymore.Before leaving, I exchanged brief updates with Rurik and Shaya. I told Rurik that we had a date for demon hunting, and that Jasmine would indeed be going with us. His sense of smells on that were mixed. He knew her power was useful, notwithstanding secretly-or, well, not so secretly-he was part of the camp that felt I should kill her. He projectmed a little reassured about her, at least, because Girard had brought the custom cuffs as promised. They provided greater mobility for her exactly were even more limiting for magic. Judging from Jasmines dismayed reaction, Rurik felt theyd been successful.Well, that was something, I supposed. And from the look on Shayas face, Dorians help with the ore was a good thing too-even if it had have it off with strings attached.That was very kind of my lord, she sai d. Both Shaya and Rurik often used the honorific my lord when discussing Dorian, as though he were still their master. I considered their old loyalty lovely but wondered if theyd ever feel like they truly worked for me. Its expedited things immensely. You plentyt imagine how cursorily things will move once the ore is processed. She grinned, eyes gleaming as all sorts of plans and organizational thoughts swirled in her mind. You must have been very pleased at what my lord did for you.Well, pleased was one way of looking at it, I supposed.Oh, and I was happy about the expedited ore too.A strange feeling colonised over me, that same one I got each time Dorian did something sharp for me-sexual practiceual gratification aside. I had no idea what his role in my life was anymore, save that he was helping me a chain reactor. Judging from Shayas face, this was a big favor hed by with(p) for me. An idea for repayment came to me.Shayais Girard still here?She nodded. I gave him a room fo r the night, so that he wouldnt have to hold up in the rain. Is that all right?Yeah, yeah. I just want to sing to him for a sec.She led me to his room, and like ahead, he was overjoyed and overeager to see me. Seeing him reminded me of Leith, which gave me a subtile pang of regret. I still felt badly about what had happened with the Rowan prince, but in that respect was nothing to be done about it. I couldnt return his feelings. Girard, fortunately, was a different matter. He wanted prestige and position for his talents, and I was more than willing to go bad that after explaining to him the project I wanted to commission.Yes, your majesty. I can roughly certainly do that. why, I can start sketching right today.No doubt he was happy to work on something that wasnt part of Katrices timbre animal collection. I left him to it, gushing with praise and how much it would smashed to me. Girard was a nice guy, despite his ambition, and I decided Id rather call myself with those wa nting job promotion over getting me into bed.I returned to Tucson at last, grateful to find the base quiet. Tim was out, but hed left me macaroni and cheese-the good do-it-yourself kind with bread crumbs on top-and a noteBitch receptionist called and wants to wangle sure you dont forget your job tomorrow.I hadnt forgotten the job tomorrow, but the reminder was a good one with as much as had been going on lately. One of the cats rubbed against my leg as I microwaved my dinner, and I absentmindedly scratched her on the head, wishing it was actually Kiyos fox form circling my ankles. I didnt like the way he and I had left things, even if theyd ostensibly been friendly. There was still tension between us, and I couldnt shake the feeling that he just wasnt understanding me latelyand that Dorian was.Argh. Dorian.As I tossed my clothes on the bathroom floor-including that damned thong-I couldnt help but think of him again. Stop it, Eugenie. Youre obsessing. Surelysurely I would have sa id no if we hadnt been interrupted earlier, right?Right?And Kiyo, Kiyowhat was I going to tell Kiyo? solely because we were having friction in our relationship, it didnt mean I had license to do what Id done today. I had no respect for lies or any other pestilent dishonesty. I didnt like that behavior in others. I didnt like it in myself. and after standing in scalding water for twenty minutes, no real answers about anything came to my mind. I finally emerged, my skin sufficiently plonk down and pink, and toweled off. After that, it was into comfy pajamas blue and gray flannel goldbrick and a white cotton tank top. It might have been raining in the Thorn Land, but here it was dry and hot. Night had cooled the air somewhat, and Id unresolved all the windows to air out the house. As a light snap fastener blew in, it took some(prenominal)thing in me not to start tinkering around with the air. I could sense every particle, and the thought of visitling them sent a shiver through me. No, I scolded myself. Id done enough today. I indigenceed to have a no-magic-in-Tucson rule, I decided.Establishing that magic and men were issues that were not going to be solved tonight, I set out to work on another. It wasnt quite ten yet, which meant Roland would be up. Sprawling on the couch in front of the breezy patio screen door, I dialed him on my phone.Eugenie, he said with delight. Weve been wondering what happened to you. You havent been reversive calls. Your mother was worried, but I told her you were in all likelihood just busy.I smiled. It was nice to have Roland in my life, someone who understood the ups and downs of this job. I have been. sincerely busy. I almost started to offer him the overflow of jobs Id had Lara turn down for me and stop myself at the last minute. If he knew I wasnt keep backing up with my work, it would plain trigger an alarm for him and subject me to questions I wasnt ready to answer.Did you ever talking to to machination and Abi gail? he asked.Yeah, I said, and thats actually why I was craft you. I thinkwell, I think theyre trafficking in aristocracy girls or something.There were several effects of silence.Trafficking? What does that mean, exactly?It means I think theyre kidnap girls andI dont know. Either pimping them out or selling them or something equally disgusting. Its like a fairy sex trade. One of the cats, a calico, came and make herself comfortable on my stomach.EugenieIve know Art for almost ten years. Ive known Abigail longer. What youre saying is absurd. You have to be getting bad information.Theyve both been comprehend in the Otherworld, right around where their gate opens I even talked to one girl who all but identified Art She was totally traumatized, Roland. And both Art and Abigail live better than they should beThats not evidence, he said. Theyre probably doing good business.In a town that size? Even with a gate like that, they cant have enough work to afford the lug they have. You and I have a ton more jobs than they do, and we dont live that well.Its a moot point. This whole thing is cold-fetched, and your evidence is sketchy. I mean, have you seen aristocracy girls tied up in his house?No, I admitted. Largely because he wont ever let me inside. Which is also suspicious.No, Eugenie, its really not. Roland sounded tired. Look, it sounds like all youve got is detailed aristocracy evidence. And you know how they are.I know that their people are being understandn against their will and possibly having horrible things done to them.Key terminology their people.Are you saying its okay for girls to be sold into a sex trade? After what happened to Mom?How can you ask me that? he exclaimed. But this isnt the same thing. Were not police who work both worlds. We cherish humans. There must be someone over there whose job it is to protect them.There is, I thought. Me.Can you at least talk to Art? I asked.And what? Ask him if hes kidnapping gentry girls?Wellmaybe you could pose it a bit more delicately. I squelched a let loose of pain as the cat leapt up off me and onto the back of the couch. Her vibrissa puffed up, and she twitched her tail in agitation. Not surprising. Both dogs had just entered the room.I cant ask him that, said Roland. And what if he says yes? Then what are you going to do?Dorians linguistic process came back to me. Kill them.Look, I dont know yet, but I just motivation to find out if-I comprehend a low growl from one of the dogs and was about to yell at them to hit it off. The cats and dogs didnt usually fight, but every once in a while, there would be a brawl. I couldnt see the dogs, though, and the bristling calicos attention seemed to be on the screen door, not the floor. I sat up and saw the dogs sit down right in front of the door, staring out into the night as well.Eugenie? Are you still there?Yeah, hang on a sec. match the phone on my shoulder, I stood up and instinctively reached for my weapons, which we re on the coffee berry table. I shoved the wand and my silver athame under the elastic waistband of my shorts and took the gun and iron athame with my give. One of the dogs growled again, and I slowly approached them at the door.Eugenie? Whats going on? Rolands voice was worried now.Im going to have to call you back.I managed to disconnect the phone and drop it on the floor without losing the athame. Outside, the night was still, the precisely noises coming from the wind in the trees and the faint sounds of traffic on the far side of my quiet approximation. I closed my eyes a moment, compass out to search for anything that didnt feel right in this world. Some shamans had this ability, but not many. The more time I spent in the Otherworld and among gentry, the more developed my senses became.Finally, I caught it. The sense of something Otherworldly. The animals, God love them, had noticed before me. Whatever this interloper was, it was keeping to the farthest edges of the house s property. It had apparently been lurking for a while, which seemed odd.Ah, I realized with a soft chuckle. Stopped by the wards, huh, you son of a bitch? Id had a witch lay protective lines and spells all around the house when the attacks on me first started. It was kind of a magical home-security system. It wouldnt keep out everything, but it definitely thinned out a lot of my nuisances.I could have simply ignored whatever was out there, but the idea of Otherworldly creatures loose in my neighborhood didnt sit well with me. Sliding open the door, I slipped outside, every nerve in my trunk on high alert. I walked the perimeter of my backyard, keeping inside the wards lines. My house was on a cul-de-sac, backing up to a small misdirect of open, scrubby land before giving way to the next neighborhood over. I doubted whatever this was would be out in the front of the house, where it would be in sight of neighbors.Ah, no-not an it. They. I could sense more than one. Standing on tipt oe to peer over the wooden fence, I nearly lose his eyes on my first sweep. A rock elemental-that is, one of the gentry who lacked the strength to travel to my world in his full form. He was blockish and unwieldy looking, his stone body mottled black and white. I had only a second to make my assessment before he charged. His system of weights and strength cracked the wooden fence, and then(prenominal)-he hit the ward. It was like an invisible surround that bounced him back.His disorientation gave me what I needed. I dropped the gun and reached for my wand. Silver bullets werent as in force(p) against gentry as steel ones anyway, and I certainly wasnt going to excite off shots and possibly get the police called if I could help it. I channeled my will into the wand, ripping open a path to the Otherworld. My snake tattoo burned on my arm as I summoned the power of Hecate. I recited the incantation to finish the ritual. The elemental felt the magic of the block offing seize him but couldnt fight it. He was too frail. In a moment, he dissolve from this world, sent back to his own, leaving only a pile of rubble behind.Another shape appeared beside where hed been, and I saw the dim lighting twinkling off water. Another gentry who hadnt been able to cross in his neat body. Hed appeared as a water elemental, a man-shaped body of liquid that dripped and wonky with each step.Stupid, stupid, I thought. Whoever he was should have known better. I didnt need a wand for this. My own magic would rip him apart-A hand suddenly jerked me backward, and I felt a knife at my throat. The hand gripping it was solid and flesh but tingling with magic. A efficacious gentry, then. One with enough power to cross my wards and come over in body. Without hesitation, I kicked backward, dodging out of his grasp skillfully enough that the sword only nicked me. I turned to face him, glad Id held on to the iron athame. He was no one I knew, young and good-looking, even with a scar o n his cheek. He was well-muscled from physical activity, and the leather armor he wore over his red tunic suggested a possible military or guarding profession back in the Otherworld.In a weird flash, Jasmines voice communication came back to me. I know the difference between a clunk of gross beggars and trained soldiers.A coincidence, I decided. Any gentry live enough to come seek me in my own world would seeming have to be a good fighter. We circled, and there was a small smile on his face as he waited for an opening. I wasnt afraid. private combat I could handle, and I had long since developed the ability to banish while fighting. It was tricky but hardly impossible. Of course, as he lunged and I ducked, I realized I didnt need anything so complicated.Almost like an inhalation of breath, I sucked the air from around us, creating a miniwhirlwind that pulled the dust and rachis from within my yard. I blasted it forward at him. He cried out as the sand blinded his eyes and imme diately started rubbing them-which wouldnt do him any favors. I was about to start the banishing when I faintly heard the sound of chanting and a tingle of shamanic magic. Startled, I turned to find the source and instead saw the water elemental come charging through the opening in the fence his friend had do. Someone had broken the wards.I held out my iron athame to block him, though I knew it would only mete out me a few seconds. That was all I needed as I began to work the water magic that would tear him apart. A blow to my back suddenly shoved me forward, straight into him. Despite being made of water, he was solid, and his hands instantly grabbed hold of me. I twisted my head back and saw that the other gentry had recovered himself enough to come striding forward, though I could see tears streaking his face from where the sand had stung his eyes.I tested geological fault free of the elementals grip but couldnt match that physical force. Again, I summoned water magic and hear d him groan in pain as his substance began to rip apart. Then, the other gentry was on me, punching me again and breaking my concentration. He started to reach around me once more with the copper blade, and then I heard a startled cry of pain from him as he was pulled away from me.I didnt look back to see what had happened but instead completed the magic on the water elemental. He detonate in a downpour that soaked me-great, twice in one day-and I immediately turned to see what else had happened. The other gentry was distracted, squaring off with someone else Roland.Rolands own athame was out in his left hand, and he was simply relying on the strength of his other fist-which was considerable-to sock the gentry in the face. The gentry was strong, though, and got a few good blows in on Roland. Seeing my stepfather take those punches kindled an anger in me. Rather than begin a banishing, I called to the air again, sucking it from around the gentry just as I had Ysabel. Eyes widening, he dropped the blade, his hands going to his throat in an instinctive gesture to draw breath. There was none to be had, though. I leapt on him, knocking him to the ground and delivering a solid punch to the face in exchange for what hed done to Roland.Around us, I felt the tingling of a banishing. Roland was opening up a hole to the Otherworld. He chanted the words and then snapped, Eugenie, get awayI did, jerking backward lest I get sucked in with the choking gentry. Power crackled around him, and a moment later, he disappeared, shoved back to his own world.Silence fell. I was sitting on the now-muddy ground, soaking wet with my heart pounding. Roland walked over and extended his hand to help me up. What are you doing here? I asked.He snorted. You cant end a call like that and not expect me to show up.True, I said. I was weak and woozy from the combat and the magic, and my bare legs were skinned up from the fight. Id need some soap and antiseptic. Thanks.Roland shrugged, not needin g my thanks. Even in the dimness, I could see the incensed look in his eyes. What the hell did you think you were doing?Seeing as Id just done several things, I wasnt entirely sure which he was referring to. What do you mean?That. He pointed to the spot where wed banished the gentry. You wereyou were using magic to choke himI was keeping him subdued while you banished him, I growled, unwilling to admit I was kind of freaked out myself. It had all happened so fast. My only impulse had been to modify the gentry. The means had just sort of happened. Realizing what Id done-again-gave me a sick feeling. Id sworn Id neer do it.Pinning him with the athame would have worked Where the hell did you learn to do that?Ive picked up a few things here and there.Rolands face was a mask of fury. You have no business using that kind of magic, Eugenie. None.My own anger was growing. In case youve forgotten, that magic is in my blood.No, he said softly. I havent forgotten. Which is why its so import ant you dont use it. What else can you do? How long have been using this kind of power?Its not important. I can do a few things-things that have kept me alive when assholes like this come try to rape me-and its not a problem. I can control it.You need to stop this. You need to stay away from the gentry. Youre getting too involved with their world, with their magic.Its part of who I am. You cant change that. And if you didnt want me fetching drastic steps, then whyd you break the wards?Roland frowned. I didnt. I thought that gentry had.No, he crossed them, but his buddies were locked out-for a while, at least. Then I heard someone undoing them. It was our kind of magic. I thought it was you.Why on earth would I do that?Then some other shaman did. The accusing tone in my voice provided no need for elaboration.Stop this. Art and Abigail arent out doing what you think. They certainly wouldnt break the wards so gentry could attack you. You think theyre out in your neighborhood right now ? One of the gentry must have done it. You were probably distracted. nourish you lost all faith in me? All you keep saying tonight is that Im wrong, that Im mistaken. Roland, I know what shamanic magic feels like. Just like I know what gentry magic feels like, especially considering-as you keep pointing out-I use it all the time.Im not sure which part of my tirade did it, but I could tell he was done with the conversation. There was something weary in his face that made him look older than he was. Im not going to stand out here in the dark and argue with you, Eugenie. All I can ask is that if you cant control yourself for my sake, then think of your mother. Otherwise, do what you want.RolandBut he was already walking away into the night, and as I watched the man Id eer regarded as my father leave, I uneasily wondered whose daughter I truly was.

No comments:

Post a Comment